Sunday, October 21, 2012

Happy Fall and Happy Blogging!!

Hello everyone! I am back! I had intended to start writing on here again sooner, but you know how life is...and time flies when you are having fun! (Or just getting older! :) )
Anywho...I have been busy in the creation station. I got a new sewing machine in September (The Singer Confidence Stylist 7467S) and love it! It sure beats trying to sew in the creation station and spending the better part of the afternoon cussing at my machine! As you can imagine, I have been sewing everything I can get my hands on...a new ironing board cover, pillows, carboy covers (we brew beer and wine), clothing for my niece, baby blankets for friends, and various paper craft details. It has been a blast so far!! I have also been busy with work and adjusting to 8:30-5:30 or 6:30 hours. This is very different than my last job and is one of the things I promised I would share when the summer was over and I was back on my blog. As some of you know, I was previously working with kids as a lead teacher at a daycare that more than stressed me out. Don't get me wrong, I love kids, but the situation was not right for me. After 2 1/2 years of applying for jobs, I finally found a good fit as a banker. I love it! I meet people from all around the world and get to spend the day helping people out. There are still stressful moments, as there always will be, but I work with a great team and can get up in the morning without stomping my feet or whining...or crying...and come home with a smile, even when I am beat. It has been a wonderful change in my (and my other half's life). The only thing that has been particularly difficult is realizing how short the day is for other things when I work these hours. I was spoiled before, working a 7-3 shift, which left plenty of time for crafting and recreation in the evening, especially in the fall and winter when it gets dark early. I am having a hard time adjusting and have found that the only way to feel like I have done anything but go to work is to get up earlier, and bring my crafting to the living room for down time with my Honey. It is definitely a work in progress! Over the summer we spent some time backpacking, as we love to do. We travelled to the Washington Coast and spent 5 days camping on the beach. It was heaven! I did not ever want to leave! There were eagles flying all above our camp, the tide was negative for a few days, allowing us to view sea creatures that are normally hidden by the dark ocean waters, and the weather was great! We saw huge ferns, walked through shin deep mud, and spent many salty mornings, afternoons, and sunsets exploring and admiring the beauty all around us. (I will post pictures soon!) We also backpacked into the Wallowa mountains. It was a gorgeous, but buggy trip! (I will post pictures of this, too.) We love being outdoors and try to spend as much time as we can outside in the summer. This includes running, long walks, mountain biking, hiking, fishing, swimming, going for drives in the jeep, gardening, berry picking, and whatever else we can think of.
This year was particularly bountiful in the garden, too! It was our first year with a garden plot at the local community garden. This kept us busy, too! We grew potatoes (red, yukon, blue), garlic, shallots, zucchini, watermelon, peppers, cilantro, green onions, shallots, tomatoes, brussel sprouts, basil, lettuce (and cucumbers, cabbage which did not turn out). There was a lot of weeding and watering to do! We have some gorgeous San Marzano tomatoes (the only ones my Sweetheart will use for pizza sauce) canned. We are excited for next year's crops, too!
We were also lucky enough to have the opportunity to pick about 500 pounds of grapes from one of the top 10 vineyards in the US...we are making a delightful Cabernet Sauvignon. It is tasting great so far and we just added oak this weekend. It will be a knock your socks off cab, and we are anticipating that it will need to age for a few years to mellow out the tannins. Can't wait!! :)
In addition, I have started running again after not doing so very consistently over the summer. The wildfires were almost unbearable, yielding the air hardly breathable. That seems to be mostly over now, and the air is cool, crisp, and warning of snow on some days. We will see what the week brings! I am planning to run Robie Creek in the spring of 2013 and need to get strong again. I have a lot of work ahead of me, but am excited to run again. It has taken several years for my foot to heal after injuring it on a run in Boise, but it is finally able to sustain more than 5 miles without aching. I am thrilled!
{And, the best part of the summer, besides visiting with family and spending time at the ocean with my Honey? My niece was born on June 11, 2012! She is the most smiley baby you ever did meet...with her first action being a big grin when she came into the world. She is absolutely delightful and is the best reminder of how beautiful the world can be. She makes me smile every time I get up in the morning! She has brought our family together in a way that I could have never imagined. She is amazing!} So...as the summer has turned to fall my mind has turned to inside projects and I will share more with you as I plan and finish the projects. I am excited to be back and to see all of the things that all of my fellow crafters are up to. I find so many great ideas and inspirations from all of you....THANK YOU! Hope you are having a fantastic Sunday! Take care!

No comments: